Thursday, July 30, 2015

Aha Moments

For years we as teachers do things in the classrooms based on how we were taught or from our college years.  BUT, then there is a time in one's career when you know you ARE a professional educator. I can remember those times as clear as day.

My first realization was when the instructional assistant (A.K.A. curriculum coordinator) asked me why I chose the book I was using. I sucked the air out of the room as I did not know how to answer. I never again was caught off guard because I began questioning myself. By doing so, I got to know my students' strengths and weaknesses better and was able to effectively plan according to their needs and the learning goal.

The second moment  was when I participated in a book study being conducted by the Lafayette chapter of the Louisiana Association of Reading (LRA). We read, discussed, and tried out instructional strategies. Giving myself the power of my own learning gave me the confidence to be reflective on my teaching practices. From then on I planned for and delivered instruction that would impact student learning.

"Educators must make a change every 5-7 years so that they continue to learn." -unknown principal from Lafayette Parish, 2002

What actions have you taken to move yourself towards being a professional educator? Let me hear about your aha moments.

Sonya Louviere

No comments:

Post a Comment